DO YOU OR SOMEONE YOU KNOW SUFFER FROM BAD BREATH? BAD BREATH, ALSO KNOWN AS HALITOSIS, CAN BE CAUSED BY NUMEROUS REASONS LISTED BY THE AMERICAN DENTAL ASSOCIATION (ADA):
1. Using tobacco can cause bad breath by drying out a person’s mouth. Tobacco use can also cause irritated gums and increase your risk of other oral problems such as cancer.
2. Certain foods such as onions and garlic can cause bad breath as they are digested in the body.
3. Dry mouth can cause bad breath due to the fact that there is low salvia production and saliva actually helps clean your mouth by clearing away any left behind particles of food.
4. Gum disease, which is related to poor oral hygiene, can cause bad breath due to bacteria growth from lack of proper brushing and flossing.
5. Medical conditions such as sinus infections, diabetes, liver, and kidney disease can cause bad breath. So, if your dentist has ruled out all of the other causes then it is important to seek your healthcare provider to help you pinpoint what exactly is causing your bad breath.
HOW CAN YOU FIGHT THE STINK?
Brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing regularly to keep your teeth plaque free and those gums healthy. It also may be important to bring a toothbrush and toothpaste with you when you decide to eat pungent foods, so no one has to be victim to your stinky breath. Using a tongue scraper and mouthwash too, is important to make sure all food particles have left your mouth so no bacteria can start to grow.
Living a healthy lifestyle by eating healthy foods such as celery or carrots that make you have to chew more help to keep the salvia flowing through your mouth. Also, quitting smoking is not only going to benefit your breath but also your overall life.
Visiting us at Aquila Dental regularly can help you pinpoint the cause of your bad breath. Dr. Higgs can detect any problems that may be causing the stink and help stop them before any more serious problems arise.
Contact Aquila Dental today at (480) 485-3368, or feel free to stop by our office at 3175 S Price Road, Suite 140, Chandler, AZ 85248 to schedule your appointment.