April 16, 2018
The human face has normally got 43 muscles. Fewer than 43 are found on some people due to the complex muscular structure and the dense grouping of muscles. Separating the skin and the muscle, in the middle, is an area of fatty tissue pads called the subcutaneous layer. These fat pads interlock and fit together giving the face much of its shape. As the face ages, the skin loses elasticity and the fat pads between the muscle and the skin become thinner. Then as the skin becomes saggy, the thinning fat pads atrophy and slide creating hollowness and loss of volume and plump in the face giving the face a fall down and weary look.
Along with the growing list of courses and methods to improve facial attributes, reverse and prevent visual effects of aging including the use of various and costly beauty products and cosmetic surgeries, the beauty trend face yoga has also become more and more popular and favored. Presently, more celebrities and public figures are patronizing and promoting this non-invasive, nontoxic, inexpensive, natural and self-administered facial exercises therapy.
Face yoga involves facial exercises of the entire face, scalp and neck. Achieving an increased facial muscle tone acts as a natural face lift, a non-surgical improvement of the facial features. The muscles of these three areas work together like a machine. The following are the merits and benefits of performing facial exercises routinely:
1. It enhances blood circulation in the face - more oxygen and nutrients are delivered resulting in improved skin tone and color and less fine lines.
2. It increases the production of collagen and elastin, the proteins responsible for skin strength, rigidity and elasticity. Thus preventing development of wrinkles and sagging in areas around the eyes, jaw line and neck.
3. It brightens up your face by eliminating old damaged cells because the epidermis is better able to absorb moisture.
4. It stimulates the lymphatic system which helps flush toxins, dirt and bacteria from the skin and boosts your metabolism.
5. It releases tension and alleviates the tightness around the neck muscles.
6. It helps relieve Temporomandibular Joint Dysfunction (TMJ) which is a disorder that causes pain and compromised movement of the joint and muscles surrounding the jaw. It stretches, strengthens and relaxes overworked muscles and joints resulting in decreased pain.
7. It won’t cost you a penny but just a couple of minutes to do the exercise unlike the expensive beauty products in the market and risky cosmetic surgeries.
8. It boosts self-esteem and confidence by making you look better and feel better.
Types of facial exercises
Numerous styles of facial exercises have been developed and widely used throughout the years which can be done anywhere both sitting or standing. The following are the most common and most popular poses of facial exercises:
1. The Giraffe Face Pose
- Look up and stretch your neck. Then while your head is tilted back, try to push your tongue against the top of your mouth. You can also use your index fingers to pull the skin on the neck downwards. Therewith hold the stretch for 25 seconds. Return to the first position and repeat the movement.
- This is one of the best facial exercises for anti aging that tones the chin and neck region, correcting sagging skin and double chin.
2. The Cheeky Face Pose
- Breath in deeply through your mouth. Therewith, hold the big breath and shift it from cheek to cheek. Do this as long as possible and repeat this 8 or 10 times.
- This pose helps strengthen your cheek muscles and will give you a more lifted, toned and plump cheeks.
3. The Clown Face Pose
- With lips closed, make a very broad smile from ear to ear. Then wrinkle your nose, stop smiling and rumple your lips. Thereafter, with your mouth still closed tightly, drop your chin using your fingers. Repeat these pose 5-10 times holding each expression for 5 seconds.
- This prevents development of laugh lines and sagging skin around the mouth.
4. The Frown Face Pose
- Place your right forefinger and middle finger on the outer and inner corners of your right eyebrow and your left forefinger and middle finger on the outer and inner corners of your left eyebrow. Then look up and squint your eyes while applying pressure with the fingers on your brows. Hold this expression for 2 seconds and then relax. Repeat this 6-8 times and finish by closing your eyes for 10 seconds.
- This exercise helps with your crow’s feet, droopy eyelids and puffy eyes.
5. The Surprised Face Pose
- Look straight, raise your eyebrows as high as you can and widen your eyes as much as you can. Then open your mouth wide as possible thus giving you the surprise look. Then repeat this 8- 10 times.
- This exercise will help smoothen out your forehead and prevent wrinkles.
Essentially and ultimately, people of all ages can benefit from facial yoga, whether to resculpt and rejuvenate or to delay the signs of aging. Facial exercises can help us look and feel our very best.